Can your business survive a natural disaster?
Many don't. More than 30 percent of businesses never reopen their doors after they've been closed down by a hurricane, tornado, flood, or other devastating calamity.
A disaster recovery plan and adequate insurance are keys to getting back to business. Your insurance plan should consider: natural disaster.
Understand your policy and deductibles and limits.
- Speak with your insurance agent or company representative to make sure you know what kind of coverage you have.
- Have sufficient coverage to pay for the indirect costs of the disaster. Coverage should include the disruption to your business, as well as the costs of rebuilding.
- Evaluate your property insurance policy.
Consider flood or earthquake insurance.
- Typical property insurance policies exclude coverage for flood or earthquake damage. If you're located in a flood zone, you'll probably have to buy a separate policy from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Protect yourself against business interruption.
- Business interruption insurance covers the profits a business would have earned, based on its own records, had the disaster not occurred. It also pays for the operating expenses that continue, such as payroll, even though the business activities come to a temporary halt.
Include extra expense insurance.
- Extra expense insurance reimburses you for what you spend, over and above your normal operating expenses, to avoid having to shut down during the restoration period.
Leave no gaps in your insurance.
- Insurance policies should include property, business interruption, and extra expense insurance. Even if your basic policy covers expenses and loss of net business income, it may not cover income interruptions due to damage that occurs away from your premises, such as to your key customer or supplier or to your utility company.
In the event, you do suffer from a catastrophic event and you don’t know who to hire for the clean-up and restoration count on the team of certified professionals who work 24/7 at SERVPRO of McAllen to help you with your claim.