5 DIY Water Damage Restoration Tips for Your Home
Not all water is clean and when suffering from water damage you may want to first analyze if your water is clear or gray/black. In the scenario that you could have gray or dark water, you may want to reach out for professional help before trying to do anything yourself.
Suffering from unexpected water damage in your home can be devastating! At SERVPRO of McAllen, we understand how the need to have your home back “Like it never even happened.” This is why we offer 24/7 emergency services to be able to help out no matter what day or time it is! (Including holidays)
Follow these DIY tips for when you have minor clear water damage within your home:
1. Disconnect Outlets
- While you may not see the severity of the water damage just yet, it’s important to be cautious around appliances and gas lines. Using this equipment despite the situation could cause electrical shocks or even explosions.
- Inspect Mold
- Most of the time, mold can spread quickly once it infests an area, so it is in your best interest to inspect for growth. For small issues, you can cut out the affected area, bag it, and dispose of it immediately. However, with serious mold infestations, you may want to reach out for professional help, in which case SERVPRO of McAllen offers 24/7 Mold Remediation Services.
- Dry Water Out
- Before more damage occurs, you need to eliminate all moisture and dry out the affected areas. You can use fans or a large-capacity dehumidifier to circulate air and dry out the carpet, wood, and other surrounding materials. While this won’t prevent mold growth altogether, properly drying out the area will help lessen the damage. If you do not have the proper equipment to do, so call your local SERVPRO, and schedule your first inspection.
- Remove Damaged Materials
- If your remove any damaged material, like insulation or carpet, soaked with water, you need to dispose of them immediately to avoid mildew. It is important to focus on the ceiling and floors first. This means unsealed cement, drywall, and wood need to be addressed and replaced so the home’s structure can support water damage repair. Remember at SERVPRO we offer Reconstruction Services, as well 24/7.
- Disinfect Remaining Areas
- Depending on the type of water you are dealing with, it can contain a lot of bacteria and other hazards that can cause health effects. The water could also encourage the growth of mold, so it is important to sanitize immediately. Once the damaged materials have been removed, you will want to disinfect the entire area before you begin the restoration process. Spray and wipe down the surfaces with bleach so the mold spores don’t grow before you continue with the repairs. The great part of this also is that if you feel you don’t have the time or materials for proper sanitation, we also offer SERVPRO Disinfection Services.
If you feel your case is severe or you simply want a group of professionals to take care of the water damage itself, you may reach out to us 24/7 at 956-631-0348. CALL NOW, and speak to one of the certified water administrators that are more than happy to schedule your first inspection with us! We take honor in our slogan and can provide a restoration, “Like it never even happened.”